Tuesday, January 30, 2018

7A - Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1

Opportunity-who,what,why
Over my time in this course, I've had the chance to expose myself to possible opportunities and have learned how to properly evaluate these opportunities and the level of accuracy. For this assignment I have chosen an opportunity that I believe has strong potential and that I would like to pursue. I selected the opportunity I have discussed about in past blogs which is to solve students need for additional food choices in Library West. The ones WHO are facing this issue is the students primarily. Students are not being offered (WHAT) an adequate amount of food selection in the library, which is leading to several negative consequences. I believe this issue is being caused (WHY) because the school may be worried about taking up study room in the library from students or they may not want to make the financial sacrifice for the construction of this new food vendor area. Many other students on campus have this need, but it does not really extend to other parties.

Testing the who?
This need is limited to Library West and its visitors. Other than students, the only other parties at the library that could benefit from this opportunity would be Library West employees. Students who attend this library would be positively impacted by this plan!

Testing the what?
 There are solutions to the issue, but they are not ideal which is why I believe my idea has such a great amount of potential. Some students go to serious extent to solve this issue so I believe my idea would be a major connivence boost for students and end in success. This issue does affect the majority of students, but some who only visit the library for a small amount of time may not be seriously affected by the lack of food choices offered.

Testing the why?  
The prototypical customers have brought up lots of whys and I didn't always have the answers. Some have questioned why another food source has not been implemented already into the building. Others have also brought up questions regarding to what kind of food source would be implemented and what the food options would be. Many are unsure of if our school would allow this plan to be implemented and whether there are any polices our contracts existing that are interfering. I believe the why I have identified is the primary why for this opportunity and my target audience agrees that this is the reasoning behind the idea.

Interview Summary
After interviewing students, professors, and employees on campus I gained some new perspectives on my idea and the who,what, why division of it. Some of the students I talked to were not Library West visitors, so they found it hard to relate to the issue. Professors also were not passionate about the issue because they do not experience the struggles involved with the issue. It was my first time talking to employees and one of the Library West employees voiced her opinion on my idea and agreed that it would be successful and a positive addition to the library and our campus. My who perspective was widened after my interviews and my what and why were further validated.

3 comments:

  1. I am an online student, so I do not know what the food choices are at UF. I did go on campus to VCU and we had a Starbucks in our library, but that’s about it. I would’ve loved to see more dining options as well! However, I did read that people mentioned the policies. I remember Dr. Pryor saying something along the lines of UF having deals with certain food vendors. So that would be something worth looking into. Also, there may not be many choices to eat in the library because they are worried about too much noise for people trying to study. Maybe there could be food offered outside the library? Either way, I am all for having more options for food…anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evelyn,
    I live on campus and understand the libraries limited amount of food choices. I only visit the library around final exam week (when it is the most crowded) and never have thought about the food choices. I am one to bring snacks with me so I do not have to spend any money. I do think that something other than Starbucks would be great, but do think that study space is the number one priority. Although this opportunity is not pertinent to me, others probably feel differently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evelyn,

    I absolutely love that you chose to talk about the food choices in Library West. This is one of the most/if not the most popular library on campus, yet it is surrounded by zero food choices that are on campus. The only way to get food is if you cross the busy street of University and either head to midtown or go wait in the line at Chipotle.

    ReplyDelete

30A

The most accomplishing point of this semester is when I brought my idea to my supervisor. He is the assistant director of business services ...