Monday, January 29, 2018

6A- Identifying Opportunities in Economic & Regulatory Trends

Economic Trend 1 
The first opportunity I found was on weforum.org and it is relating to an economic trend. Part of the article shared about how there is a massive increase in the working population and this is causing an impact on our national economy. I realized the opportunity after reading through the article and identifying the issue and a solution for it. I believe where there is a need, there is an opportunity. The prototypical customers for the opportunity would be American citizens. Individual's from other regions who are highly educated and skilled are taking jobs from American's and are threatening our nations economy. I believe this opportunity would be hard to exploit because it is a high scaled issue. Some may not see an opportunity in this topic because they may be intimidated or discouraged by the size of this issue. Through a course I took last semester, ALS2410, I learned just how great of an impact a single person can make on a massive problem and this gives me the courage to combat large obstacles. 

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/09/global-competitiveness-report-2017-trends/

Economic Trend 2
The second opportunity I found was regarding the economic trend relating to baby boomer's retirement age. With baby boomers retiring at a later age, the younger generation have less job opportunities.  I found this opportunity in an article sharing about the top 5 US economic trends to watch out for. I believe there is an opportunity here to aid the baby boomers. They are being affected by the recession and are worried that they will face financial issues when retiring. The customers or prototypical audience would be the older baby boomer generation. They are the ones facing late retirement and fear. I feel that this may be a difficult opportunity to grasp and find the right solution for, but it is possible. I think that many would bypass this opportunity since it only targets one possible group of customers and this could worry entrepreneurs. I came to the conclusion that there is an opportunity in this topic since it is one of the top economic trend, which leads me to believe there is an opportunity to serve others and make a change in the industry. I have a strong belief that there is a solution to this issue and an opportunity to reap great benefits.

https://www.thebalance.com/top-usa-future-economic-trends-3305666

Regulatory Change 1
The first opportunity I found relating to regulatory change is the topic of altering the gambling laws in our nation. The Anti-Gambling amendment is possibly facing changes in the near future and it may be permitted not only across Florida, but in other states as well. I found out about this information from a fellow classmate in this class. They shared about this topic and it caught my eye. I found an article about this topic on the SunSentinel.com. I believe an opportunity that exists would be for hotels and restaurants near the new casinos. The prototypical customer would be adults from the ages 18 and up. I feel this opportunity offers a simple way to address this change and create revenue from it. Some may read about this topic, but fail to recognize the indirect opportunities it offers because they are too focused on the direct change and affects it causes. I formed my belief because I see the tourism and money that gambling attracts to an area. 

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/florida-politics-blog/fl-reg-senate-greyhound-racing-decoupling-20180116-story.html

Regulatory Change 2
The second regulatory change I identified was change in the legal age for individuals to buy tobacco products. In order to improve the health of our youth and to improve their future, this law is being trialled. I found this article about the opportunity on Monticello Times. I believe there is an opportunity here because this will create needs for those who are under 21 and are currently purchasing tobacco products. I believe the customer for a potential product would be youth between the age 17-21. I believe this change offers room for potential opportunities because a need will be created, but it will be hard to compete with the already established products in this industry. I believe that some may not see opportunity in this area because there are already some alternative product created. I believe there is still room for potential opportunity and innovation in this area since tobacco products have been found to be so popular in the age range 18-21.

https://www.hometownsource.com/monticello_times/free/increase-legal-age-to-buy-tobacco-products-to/article_70ceed86-f6e4-11e7-b3c3-1ff3b0d25a60.html

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I noticed that you wrote about the baby boomers retirement crisis. I also wrote about this trend. It is serious because so many people that want to retire can’t afford to. Hopefully, a solution to this problem will happen soon! I was also intrigued by the legal age in which people can buy tobacco. I think this is a great opportunity. Many people that have been buying tobacco that are under 21 will need a substitute. Maybe, certain companies like e-cigarettes and Chantix will receive more business because of this. I hope that passes because smoking is just as bad, if not worse, than alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Evelyn,
    Your post caught my attention immediately. In regards to the Regulatory Change 2, although many people would agree that tobacco product are terrible, including me, I do not believe that there is a large opportunity here when it comes to changing the age to 21. This is a very difficult topic because this leads to the lowering the age of alcohol consumption/purchase debate. Due to the fact that in the U.S. you are legally an adult at the age of 18, it seems irrational to have another age regulation. I was curious as to why the age 21 was ever put into law and it seems that in English common law the age to vote and become a knight was 21. I am unsure of why the age of adulthood was changed to 18, but I am definitely more curious now than I was before. I found your post quite stimulating.

    ReplyDelete

30A

The most accomplishing point of this semester is when I brought my idea to my supervisor. He is the assistant director of business services ...