I believe there is an opportunity to open a successful food vendor in Library West at UF. I have faced the issue many times where I am a the library and I have to leave because I need a meal to keep going. I have talked to man y other students who feel the same way about this problem. While there is a Starbucks, they only offer pastries and a few selection of actual food. Students need energy in order to work properly and I think that opening either a cafe or small restaurant would improve student's experience at the library and their education. This need has existed since I began studying at UF and I am assuming it went on before I was here. People are meeting their needs by buying food out of the vending machine or paying for overpriced breakfast sandwiches at the Starbucks. I am certain that this is a great opportunity because I have witnessed how it affects students and have experienced this struggle along with many of my fellow classmates and friends. The prototypical customer would be the students since they are the ones who study at the library. Many will spend the entire day there and it would be much more convenient to go down stairs and get a hot sub rather than having to pack up your things to go get food.
Student 1:
The first student I interviewed shared how she believes the lack of food options at library west is a problem and that adding a cafe or a subway that offers affordable meals where students can also use their swipes would be very beneficial. Student one shared that she normally does not come to the library on an empty stomach, but that over time she begins to get hungry and the need becomes apparent. She said she realized the issue and has been having this need since she started studying at library west, which was about two years ago. She said currently she results in ordering food to the library through uber eats which call for delivery costs or buying food she doesn't really want at Starbucks. She shared how glad should would be about the solution to the issue and believes it would be very successful.
Student 2:
The second student I interviewed explained his views about the idea and agreed that I would be a great addition to the library. He said he becomes aware of the situation when he's studying and has to purchase chips out of a machine or one of the expensive options form Starbucks. He shared how he studies mostly at newell where they have a cafe so he does not face the issue too often. He is a freshmen at UF so he has not experienced the issue for very long. He explained how most of the time when he feels hunger he just leaves to his dorm where he can get more of a real meal. He said that adding another food choice at library west would have him coming much more often and spending more time there.
Student 3:
The last student I interviewed shared about her positive and negative thoughts about the opportunity. She explained how she as dealt with the struggle of getting a meal while at the library. She brought up how it would be taking study room rom the library from students. She said she became aware of the need last semester when she only had swipes on her meal plan and was not able to get food from the Starbucks. She said she has been struggling with this issue for two semesters now and is begging to get annoyed with the situation. Normally she will pack her things and walk somewhere to get food or will order jimmy johns. She said both of these options interfere with her studying and she would like an additional food option and library west. She thinks it is a great idea to add another meal option and that it would attract more students to the library.
Reflection:
After interviewing students who attend library west, I got the opportunity to see the viewpoint of others on the situation and their thoughts about my solution. I was surprised that their views lined up so much with mine and it reassured me that my idea is a great opportunity. Each student had similar struggles and all agreed that adding another food option at library west would be beneficial.
Summary:
I still believe after my interviews that it is a valid opportunity that I have identified and my beliefs on the issue have not been altered. I now feel that my views on the opportunity have been strengthened and that it is an accurate opportunity. Based off the customer feedback, I believe that entrepreneurs would take this opportunity into serious consideration and would use the feedback to efficiently take this opportunity and succeed. It is important to take customer feedback and adapt the opportunuty in order to satisfy the needs of the prototypical customer.
Hey, great idea regarding the food vendor. This scenario has happened to me so many times, where I'm grinding in the library for a whole day and need to leave to get real food. I do like the snacks at Starbucks, but don't think I'd be able to eat a proper lunch or dinner from it. But overall, this was a really interesting idea and I would be a big supporter if it was an option.
ReplyDelete